All those rogue planets falling from the sky really screwed with my commute this morning. And it was so dark from being flung into the dark rift of the Milky Way.
Oh, that was only rain and regular old pre-dawn darkness? My bad.
Well, I guess since the world isn’t ending, I’m going to have to get back to my normal routine. I’ve been ignoring my blog, skipping the gym, and eating crappy food like there was no tomorrow. Not that I thought there would be no tomorrow, mind you. Not only because I am a logical, science-minded person, but also because acclaimed astrophysicist Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson promised us all, at this lecture I attended back in 2009, that the world would not end today (he talks about it starting at the 1 hour 13 minute mark, promise at 1hr 17min.) And although I oppose his stance on Pluto’s planethood, I trust him in all other areas of astrophysics.
Anyway, back to normal routine. This coming year will bring a change in diet and many obstacle course races/events, both of which will be documented in this blog.
I’ll ring in the New Year with the Beachbody Ultimate Reset. It is a sort of cleanse in which I should hopefully reset my body to factory condition. I say ‘sort of cleanse’ because it is not one of those things where you drink maple syrup/cayenne/lemon juice cocktails and spend a week on a toilet. Real food, supplements, and giving the body a rest for 21 days should cleanse it without being all harsh and mean to the system.
After the reset, I will be going into full training mode. I probably won’t be doing much in the gym since Jay is going to be building us a traverse wall, monkey bars, climbing wall, rope climb, etc in our backyard! We’ve both come to the conclusion that jogging around the gym’s track and putzing with dumbells and military presses just doesn’t adequately prepare us for the challenges that race designers throw at us. Lugging buckets of rocks and dragging/flipping tractor tires around the neighborhood does.
And what’s on the docket for 2013? I’m already registered for:
- May 4 – Dirty Girl Mud Run – Scranton PA — with my mommy!
- June 1 – Spartan Sprint – Tuxedo NY
- July 20 – Superhero Scramble – Tuxedo NY –NEW to me! Help me decide what superhero to dress up as, please!
- August 10 – Hero Rush – Poconos PA –NEW to me!
- August 24 – Warrior Dash – Poconos PA — Same great race, now a new location!
- September 7 – Super Spartan – Vernon NJ
- September 21 – Spartan Beast – Killington VT
Also on the list:
- June 8 – GoRuck Challenge NYC
- Run for Your Lives if I can wedge it in that schedule somewhere
- September 22 – Westchester Medical Center Trauma Run also with my mom but this race will only be done if I can still move and drive down from Vermont in time after completing the…
- September 21 – Spartan Ultra Beast – somewhere near my early grave.
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I will be applying to attempt the Ultra Beast- more than a marathon distance of torture. Do the same thing I did here (only probably harder because that’s how Sparta rolls) TWICE. Have I ever run more than 14.5 miles before? No. Am I some uber-athlete? No. (Seriously, you read my blog and had to ask that? wtf?) But I completed the Trifecta in 2012 so I have to at least TRY to push farther in 2013. I know I can do the thing once. All I’ll have to to is start over again. If I don’t finish, I will have at least tried.
What will you do to better yourself in 2013? (Or at least to celebrate the continuation of Earth?)